My thoughts on Cody Simpson's new album Free



Cody Simpson released his first independent album Free last week and I wanted to talk a little bit about my thoughts on the album and his transition from teen pop star to independent musician. Anyone who knows me knows that I have always been a big fan of Cody Simpson. He was first signed to Atlantic records when he was 13 years old and started his musical journey singing catchy pop songs. He was a cookie cutter, teen heartthrob. From his hair, to his clothes, to his dance moves he did what he was expected to. Don't get me wrong I loved everything about him, especially the music he used to make, but everyone grows up and their tastes and perspectives change and that's okay. I'm not the same person I was when I was thirteen so why should I expect him to be?

Cody is now 18 years old and as he has grown up he has realized that this is not the direction he wants to take anymore with his career. He wants to be free. Free from everyone telling him what to do, free from all the expectations, free from being the 13 year old teen pop star he once was. He wants to be free to be himself and make the kind of music that makes him happy. Around August of 2014 Cody made the brave decision to drop his label and start a new journey being an independent artist. He started his own little label Coast House Records and on July 10th he released Free.

I'm not going to lie I am really going to miss his old sound, but if he were to have stayed making his old pop music it wouldn't be genuine. You would be able to feel it in the songs and they wouldn't be as good. As well, whenever I miss his old sound his old songs are still there whenever I want to listen to them.

His new album is musically and lyrically better than anything Cody has ever done in the past. You can feel his passion for his new sound while you listen to the album. I can feel the joy and happiness in the songs and that's what makes this album so great. The tracks are fun and give off this amazing beachy, chill, relaxing vibe. Whenever I listen to it I feel like I am on a beach somewhere taking in the warm sun and the cool breeze from the ocean. It instantly puts me in a good mood. My favourite tracks are: New Problems, It Don't Matter, & ABC. I highly recommend giving the whole album a listen! You can check it out on iTunes here.

I am incredibly proud of Cody for following his heart and doing something that I know hasn't been easy. He took a huge risk dropping his label and all the resources they provided him with, along with running the risk that his fans wouldn't respond well to his new direction. I think this new direction is exactly what Cody needed and I am excited to see what comes next.

-Alisse

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to 'Life With Alisse'!

This is where I ramble on about products i'm loving, music i'm digging, DIY projects, pop culture and what's happening in my life. Take a look around and let me know what you think!