My 3 Day Juice Cleanse

After watching a documentary titled Fat Sick and Nearly Dead (it's on Netflix) I was inspired to do a 3 day juice cleanse. What's a juice cleanse you ask? It's when all you consume for a certain period of time is fresh, all natural, juice. It is supposed to give your digestive system a little break and cleanse your body of all the toxins that have built up.




After much research I decided to make my own juice. There are companies out there that offer juices meant for cleanses but they are really expensive. A three day juice cleanse could cost you $150-$275 if you choose to go with one of these companies. I made all my juice using a Kenmore juicer and fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. Although it is a little bit more time consuming it was way more cost effective. I also bought most of my ingredients in bulk from Costco, which also lowered the cost quite a bit.

I made 4 types of juices that I drank throughout my cleanse:

1. Mean Green Juice
    - 1 cucumber
    - 4 celery stalks
    - 2 green apples
    - 6-8 kale leaves
    - 1/2 lemon
    - 1inch piece of ginger

2. Fresh Sugar-Free Strawberry Lemonade
    - 1 cucumber, peeled
    - 12 strawberries
    - 2 pears
    - 3 parsnips
    - 2 lemons

3. Cantaloupe Carrot Cocktail
    - 4 carrots
    - 1/2 cantaloupe
    - 3 celery sticks

4. Bright Pink-A-Licious Juice
    - 2 small beets, peeled
    - 4 carrots
    - 1 orange, peeled
    - 1 sweet potato, peeled
    - 1/2 lemon, peeled

All the recipes came from the website Reboot With Joe, which is run by the same guy who made the Fat Sick and Nearly Dead documentary. My favourite juice has to be the Cantaloupe Carrot Cocktail. It is naturally sweet and tastes better than the other juices I made.



While on the cleanse I wanted to document how it was going so I wrote down how I was feeling and which juices I drank each day.

Day 1:
After wanting to try a juice cleanse for a few weeks now I was really excited to finally begin. I woke up this morning and made my first juice. I was surprised by how easy is was and I definitely thought that the Mean Green Juice I made was going to taste way worse than it actually did. I drank that for breakfast and lunch and it was fairly filling I didn't feel hungry until around 6pm when I made the Fresh Sugar-Free Strawberry Lemonade for dinner. This juice was a nice change from the Mean Green Juice I had been drinking all day and gave me enough energy to finish off the evening. I didn't feel more tired than usual and aside from minor food cravings it has gone pretty well so far.


Day 2:
Last night right before I went to bed I had a pretty bad headache. I think the cause of it was my lack of water. Today I am going to make sure to stay hydrated and drink lots of water while drinking the juice. Surprisingly, I didn't feel hungry when I woke up this morning. For breakfast, I had the Cantaloupe Carrot Cocktail and I felt pretty good until about 11am when I felt like I was starving. I decided to have lunch early and I had more of the Cantaloupe Carrot Cocktail as I made two batches of it yesterday night. Drinking the same juice for two meals in a row gets really tiring and I don't recommend it. I will not be doing that tomorrow. As the evening came around my headache came back and drinking the juice became such a chore. For dinner I had more of the Mean Green Juice and I can officially say I am over this cleanse and I am counting down the hours until I am done.


Day 3:
I woke up this morning feeling really hungry and I can't stop thinking about eating real food, not even junk food just any food. I have no idea how someone could do this for 60 days. 3 days is plenty and I don't think I would ever do it again. I'd rather just eat all the fruits and vegetables that go into the juices than juice them and drink them. For breakfast, I made a fresh batch of the Cantaloupe Carrot Cocktail and felt a little bit better. For lunch, I had the Bright Pink-A-Licious Juice. I do not recommend making this juice, it is flat out disgusting. Getting myself to drink the juice is becoming so difficult. I have to sit there and force myself to drink it, it is not enjoyable at all. Everyday I wanted to have at least one green juice so I made the Mean Green Juice again for dinner but I decided to add 2 pears to it just to try and make the juice a little sweeter. I am very glad that is is the last juice I have to drink for a long time. I can't wait to be done. I already know exactly what I am going to eat for all three of my meals tomorrow when it's over.

Final Thoughts:
Before I started this I really thought it was going to be easier than it was. I didn't really enjoy drinking any of the juices that I made so it was a real mission to get through them. I also don't feel any different from when I started and it was also super annoying to clean the juicer. I probably cleaned that thing 10 times in the past 3 days and it was not enjoyable. Overall I am glad I tried it just to see what it is like but I would never do it again. Juice cleanses are clearly not my thing.

As always thanks for reading,
Alisse


0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to 'Life With Alisse'!

This is where I ramble on about products i'm loving, music i'm digging, DIY projects, pop culture and what's happening in my life. Take a look around and let me know what you think!