DIY: Fairy Jars

Last week I was assigned a project for my TV Video class where I was given the task to make a 90 second video based on the word illumination. I began to search the web looking for inspiration and googled cool ways light can be used and I came across a picture of a "fairy jar". I thought it looked really neat so I decided to try making one that I could include in my video. I found a tutorial on how to make them and took a trip to the dollar store to buy some supplies. I bought 4 packs of glow sticks, 3 jars, and a pair of rubber gloves.


Before you begin I suggest you place the jars on some paper towel or newspaper in order to avoid mess and to make your clean up easier. The first thing you want to do is crack all the glow sticks so they are glowing, then take a pair of scissors and cut open the glow sticks. Then you want to shake them around the jar getting the liquid on the inside edges of the jar. I advise you wear rubber gloves and an apron while doing this as the liquid tends to splash up. I used about 6 glow sticks per jar.


The tutorial I was following called for tulle. Unfortunately I could not find any but, I did find some babybels in my fridge that had a somewhat tulle sack so I cut that up and placed it in the jars. If you are unsure what I am talking about I used the white casing in this picture.


After I inserted my makeshift tulle I placed the lids on the jars and gave them a good shake. Here is the final product. 


Overall I am pretty impressed with how they turned out. If you decide to try this fun little DIY project let me know how it goes.
-Alisse

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to 'Life With Alisse'!

This is where I ramble on about products i'm loving, music i'm digging, DIY projects, pop culture and what's happening in my life. Take a look around and let me know what you think!